Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Parker's Report: Week 12

Week 12: Busywork
July 25-29, 2016

                  Monday morning started like any other. I got to the barn and began putting feed in each stall for the horses. My mind was on auto-pilot as I did so when I was startled by chirping coming from a bucket I had just filled with oats. I looked back and a fairly grown bird was flopping around in the bucket. I gently picked the young bird up and took him outside. He was obviously learning to fly and had fallen in the bucket. I placed him in a patch of grass where he wouldn’t be trampled on and a few moments later he took flight. Satisfied that he was ok I continued my morning routine. After caring for the horses I started up the tractor and went around to each pasture to finish cutting down the dead pigweed. Tuesday was an absolutely gorgeous day. I got to spend it in the open cab tractor spraying fence line. This time I focused mainly on the fences surrounding the hay fields. I also sprayed down all the pigweed that had grown up in and around the cattle pens. There were two steers and bull that watched me while I sprayed their pen down. The steers weren’t too keen on me coming into the pen. They ran around to the other side of the fence to watch. The bull however was curious. He came up to the fence and just watched as I opened and closed the gates and sprayed the pen down. The weather could not make its mind up on Wednesday. The sky was mostly lightly gray with much darker patches that would release a little rain. Patches of blue sky would peek through and occasionally the sun would make a brief appearance. I finished bush hogging the last few spots of pigweed I had’t been able to get to on Monday. With nothing else to do I was content to bush hog the North pines pasture that I was already in. The grass was thick and full of dallisgrass. I had fun cutting in straight lines parallel to the road to make the pasture look pretty. Ace accompanied me on the tractor for part of the morning. He looked so forlornly as I left out that morning that I couldn’t help but bring him along. He laid at my feet and helped me keep an eye out for potholes and other obstacles. As we passed next to the lake, a large fish that had been resting in the shallow water swam off in a rush. He made such a splash that it caught Ace’s attention. Ace didn’t know what to do or what it was. He looked at me with his ears perked up and head tilted to the side. I laughed and gave him a pet and continued on.  On Thursday I moved across the fence and cut one side of the Long pasture. It was a huge ditch in the middle that is unpassable, so I only cut the side bordering the North Pines. The weather again couldn’t make up its mind whether it wanted to rain or be sunny. I just plodded along as best I could. Friday morning Ace greeted me with his fur full of burrs. He didn’t know it but he was going to get a bath just as soon as I finished with the horses. Once they were fed and put back out to pasture and the barn had been swept I put a halter on Ace and lead him out to the hose. I lathered him up with soap and brushed out what burrs I could. Then I repeated the process with plenty of conditioner. I got most of them out, but a good many remained tangled up in some of his longer hair. Once he was thoroughly rinsed off I ran some leave-in conditioner/ detangler through his fur and let him loose. Mrs. Dee then asked me to wash Seth’s truck for her so I did that. Once that was accomplished I went out to my tractor and did some more bush hogging before calling it a day.

Pictures below.

No comments:

Post a Comment